Treemap visualization of Results of 2009 General Elections of India
Using the treemap component from TheJIT and data from Election Commision's site, I made a treemap visualization of results of 2009 general elections of India. This representation gives an overview of elections results across states, coalitions and parties compared to results of 2004 elections.
- Data is broken down into hierarchy of 'state->coalition->party'
- Size of rectangle represents number of seats won by the party
- Color of the retangle represents increase or decrease in number of seats compared to 2004 elections. Green color shows the increase in the number of seats won compared to 2004. Red color show the decrease in the number of seats won compared to 2004. Intensity of green or red color represents the quantum of change.
- States with less than 5 seats are combined into a single group named 'Remaining States
- Large changes compared to 2004 are in states of UP, West Bengal, Bihar, Kerala,Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
- Status has not changed much in the states of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andra Pradesh, Gujrat.
- INC (Indian National Congress) is green in many states (i.e. the number of seats are increased.)
- In UP, big loser in SP while the BSP status is nearly unchanged.
- In West Bengal, Communist Party (Marxist) loss is Trinamool Congress's gain.
- UPA : United Progress Aliance (Congress, NCP, etc)
- NDA : National Democratic Aliance (BJP, Shivsena, etc)
- INC : Indian National Congress
- BJP : Bharatiya Janata Party
- NCP : Nationalist Congress Party
- AITC : All India Trinamool Congress
- BSP : Bahujan Samaj Party
- JD(U) : Janata Dal (United)
- JD(S) : Janata Dal (Secular)
- BJD : Biju Janata Dal
- RJD : Rashtriya Janata Dal
- CPI : Communist Party of India
- CPM : Communist Party of India (Marxist)
- DMK : Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam
- AIADMK : All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam)