Must Read Articles for a software devleoper
Over years, these authors help me shape and clarify my thinking on software development, project management, handling teams etc. Hence I thought creating list of these articles will be helpful to other developers as well.
Articles from Paul Graham's essays :
- Why Nerds are unpopular : http://paulgraham.com/nerds.html
- Hackers and Painters http://paulgraham.com/hp.html
- Python Paradox : http://paulgraham.com/pypar.html
- Taste for Makers http://paulgraham.com/taste.html
- Design and Research http://paulgraham.com/desres.html
- Six Principles for Making new things : http://paulgraham.com/newthings.html
- What Happened to Yahoo : http://paulgraham.com/yahoo.html
Articles from Bob Sutton's Blog :
Bob suttons' articles are about management, handling teams, design and innovation. He is the author of book 'No Asshole Rule'. Every manager and start up founders should read this book.
- Indifference is as Important as Passion : http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/12/why_indifferenc.html
- You get what you expect from people http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/08/decide_to_do_so.html
Articles and Blog of Martin Fowler :
I learned lot of good software design concepts by reading Martin Fowler's article. His book on Refactoring is a must read for any serious software developer.
- Is Design Dead ? http://martinfowler.com/articles/designDead.html
- Continuous Integration : http://martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html
- Refactoring : http://martinfowler.com/distributedComputing/refactoring.pdf
- Fail Fast : http://martinfowler.com/ieeeSoftware/failFast.pdf
- Dealing with Properties : http://martinfowler.com/apsupp/properties.pdf
- Keeping Software Soft : http://martinfowler.com/distributedComputing/soft.pdf
Articles of Joel Spolsky :
Many people complain that Joel articles are just plain common sense and there is no new insight. However, as you may have discovered in your orgnization and else where common sense is not so common.
The Law of Leaky Abstractions http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/LeakyAbstractions.html
Making Wrong code look wrong : http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html
Big Macs Vs Naked Chef : http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000024.html
Architecture Astronaut : http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/05/01.html
Don't Let Architecture Astronauts Scare You http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000018.html
- Painless Functional Specs
Choices = Headache : http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/11/21.html
Daily Builds are your friends : http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000023.html
Articles from Pragmatic Programmer
These guys wrote the 'pragmatic programmer' series of book. The Pragmatic Programmer : from journeyman to Master is a 'must read'. Pragmatic Project Automation and Pragmatic Version Control are also good.
- OO In One Sentence : http://media.pragprog.com/articles/may_04_oo1.pdf
- Mock Objects : http://media.pragprog.com/articles/may_02_mock.pdf
- Code Kata : http://codekata.pragprog.com/